874 total views,  2 views today

Unknown assailants have reportedly burnt the Baale of Olowe Gbagura in Abeokuta North Local Government Area of Ogun State, Chief Akin Muheedeen to death.

The death of the traditional ruler was said to have caused palpable fear in the community coming one month after the Olu of Agodo, Oba Ayinde Odetola, was killed and burnt to death in Ewekoro Local Government Area of the State.

According to PlatformTimes , it was gathered that the community head was burnt to death in his house on Monday morning, shortly after his arrival from the mosque where he had gone to observe prayer (Subhi).

Sources within the family said, the unknown assailants broke a window to gain access into apartment of the deceased Baale before they killed and set him ablaze.

It was learnt that late Chief Muheeden before his death had recently been arrested and arraigned for his alleged involvement in a land dispute with some people.

The village head, who was expected to appear in court on March 15, had reportedly commenced the amicable resolution of the matter before his death on Monday morning.

One of his wives, Silifat, who confirmed the incident explained that she was returning from the mosque around 6am when she saw fire billowing from their compound.

“When I saw the fire, I shouted, I didn’t know what was happening. I rushed down, only to discover that my husband was on fire, already dead. We later found out that a window at the back of the house was broken. We didn’t know who killed him,” Silifat said.

His second wife, Iyabode, said she slept in the same room with her husband, saying her husband left the room at dawn to urinate and pray as usual.

“He used to pray every morning, so he went out around 6am to urinate and prepare for prayer. After about 15 minutes, I heard my senior wife shouting, ‘fire, fire’. I rushed out to discover that it was Baale that was on fire. He didn’t go out with fire or matches. We don’t know who did this,” Iyabode explained.

Speaking, the Seriki of Olowe, Chief Kazeem Dauda, while condemning the incident, explained that there was an issue between the Baale and some individuals.

“Few days ago, I was here with him to talk to him not to panic about the case in court. Some people have been claiming ownership of his land. He was even arrested and granted bail in court. He was supposed to be in court again on the 15th of March. He was a gentleman. This would be the first time he would have an issue with anyone.

“I got a call this morning that he burnt himself to death. I said, ‘how come?’ But when I got here, we discovered the window was broken. He couldn’t have burnt himself like that,” the Seriki said.

When contacted the PPRO of the Ogun State Command, DSP Oyeyemi said he is yet to receive the report from the DPO of Imala Police Station.

Source: Platform Times

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.