OWO PEOPLE PROTEST POLICE MOVES TO DETAIN SUSPECTS DISCHARGED AND ACQUITTED BY COURT OVER MURDER CASE OF LATE MONARCH

 515 total views,  2 views today


The people of Owo town in Yewa South Local Government area of Ogun State have cried out, protesting the moves of the Police CID, Alagbon to arrest and detain suspects discharged and acquitted by the court in 2019 over the murder case of the late Monarch of the town.
Holding leaves, banner with the inscription” Ibaniloruko je yi t’o ge, Enough of the Harrassment”, men, women and children went round the town crying and appealing to the State and federal governments to intervene and save the families of the freed suspects from further unlawful detention.
They called on the State Governor Prince Dapo Abiodun and the Inspector General of Police to come to their rescue and save the town from being thrown into unrest by some people who are bent on punishing the freed suspects over a case they had been discharged and acquitted by a court of law sitting in ilaro three years ago.
13 suspects from Owo were arrested by the Police in 2017 over the murder of the late monarch of the town, Oba Patrick Fasinu Oyeniran.


Speaking to Journalists at the Palace of Olowo of Owo during the Protest, one of acquitted suspects, Abiodun Onifade said” We have been invited to Alagbon again and we were there on Monday,21/6/2021. Sixteen of us, 12 of we the initial suspects because one of us, Joshua Alaka died in 2018 in detention during the trial, while additional four people are now included.
“Some members of the late monarch family,,Musa Kareem,Olaofe and Akanmu are the ones behind this, they are paddling lies that we want to kill them, we are law abiding citizens, this is why we are crying out so that we won’t suffer unjust detention that had wrecked some of us in the last three years”.
Onifade, who is the CDA Chairman of one of the Communities in the town said: ” the house of late Alaka is now deserted, that exactly what they want for we the remaining 12 . On the 23/11/2020, we were again taken to ilaro. We have been to three courts before the Strike and again we received invitation on 21/6/ 2021 to Force CID Alagbon, we have been there. We were told to come back on Friday 24/6/2021
” That we won’t be detained unjustly again that is why we are crying to concerned authorities and Kabiyesi, Oba Olusegun Rufai Alao to come to our aid so that we won’t suffer again for what we didn’t know anything about”
Addressing the Protesters, the Bobajiro of Owo kingdom, Chief Babatunde Joseph
and the Otunba of Owo Kingdom, Chief Abiodun Akinbode implored the protesters to be patience as their messages will be delivered to the Monarch for
necessary intervention.
” Kabiyesi is not around when he comes back your grievances will be tabled before him and I can assure you he would intervene quickly”
: Earlier, one of the son of the freed suspects Ezekiel Aredeyi, tearfully begged the concerned authorities and the monarch for their interventions so that he and his siblings won’t suffer another years of absence of fatherly care
” During my father’s earlier detention for 3 years, I was bedridden and I couldn’t come out of the house, I am supposed to be in secondary school by now,what will happen to us again if our fathers are detained again? He concluded bursting into tears.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*